Thursday, October 27, 2011

Poor Bangkok

There is little doubt. The flood is coming. For several days the government has tried everything possible to protect the city centre, but it seems those efforts will come to nothing this weekend when high tides combine with ever greater volumes of run-off water from the floods up country to spill over and the Chao Praya river is going to burst its banks.

All along the part of Sukhumvit Road, where I've been staying, there are sandbags protecting shops, hotels and other buildings. Some shopkeepers have gone as far as constructing brick walls around their entrances and windows. People are as prepared as they can be. Now the government has declared a five day holiday over the weekend and a lot of people are leaving the city.

The main international airport was the busiest I have ever seen it. On my flight out (to Brunei) every seat was taken. Yes, I've made it out and am in transit in Brunei. I have finally got my internet connection working at the Coffee Bean cafe. There is not much in transit at this small airport. Oh.. would someone please tell Royal Brunei Airlines that jazz is particularly annoying and irritating for a lot of people. They use it as calming music when the plane is on its approach to landing, but I find it quite the opposite !

Those of you who have travelled on Royal Brunei will know that each flight receives a blessing before takeoff. I had slept through the other ones (I frequently fall asleep as soon as I sit down, then wake up when the food or drinks trolley comes along), but I was awake for this morning's blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment