Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Video Post : Shwedagon Paya

This is the main event as far as tourism is concerned in Myanmar. The Shwedagon Paya complex in Yangon, with its huge golden stupa. $5 US entry fee for foreigners. I had a prime view of it from my nearby hotel window. (The Summit Parkview Hotel deserves a special mention for its excellent service, facilities and great food). There are many payas (or pagodas). Most of them are very old and this is the most sacred for Buddhists in Myanmar.

By the way, as I'm writing this posting there's a thunder storm going on here in Bangkok. I'm eating a breakfast of bananas, rice crackers and yoghurt, which I bought last night from the supermarket nearby. At least I don't have to step out in the rain ! However, I've just noticed that my bananas are from Japan. I stopped for a moment to wonder whether they could be irradiated.

No comments:

Post a Comment